Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Two Weeks In

I 've been a little reliant on lots of teacher blogs as of late.  Scratch that.  I've been very reliant. So much so that I've gotten the itch to blog myself in such a way that general forgetfulness cannot scratch.

Teaching in Guatemala is not difficult in the traditional sense.  Classes are small (my largest is 14), administration is very supportive.  The secondary principal loves SBG, in fact, but due to some past issues, he knows what kinds of problems it can spawn with parents. Still he's behind me, and that's awesome.  The director of the school said something to the effect "I invite you to not grade homework" to the faculty.  I couldn't help but grin like an idiot.

What's difficult is this: I'm teaching 7th graders, Algebra 2, and AP Calculus.  Calc is my wheelhouse, I can spin that stuff all day and the kids can dig it.  Algebra 2 is an old trick that I've forgotten how to blend seamlessly.  7th graders... scare me. I mean I have no idea what I'm doing.  

Which brings me back to the first line I typed about fifteen-ish times.  I've been looking at a lot of Fawn stuff and a lot of Sarah Hagan stuff and had so many tabs open from random people that I lost track of all the bookmarks.  I've grabbed a good chunk (read:all) of Jonathan's experimental Algebra 2 stuff since it's something I can definitely get behind and tweak for my room. 

Calculus is going to be an interesting transition back to smaller classes--er, class.  I went from having semi-big classes that got bigger for 7 years, to 6 massive-ish classes last year, and now down to a single class of 12. I know, a great problem to have, but it's still an adjustment.  

7th Grade still scares me. I cannot stress that enough.  I've never taught them, or middle school for that matter, and so I have no idea where they are.

Did I mention that there's an entirely new secondary math department?  I spoke to one 6th grade math teacher who transitioned to science about what they did last year.  Here was the gist:

- Kids grouped homogeneously, Were given packets for self-pacing.  Once the packet was complete, they "tested out" of it and were given a new packet.  Repeat.

The post-year report was something to the effect that some kids were doing quadratics while others were having trouble with order of operations. 

So what do I do?  I find a Problem-Based Learning curriculum.  I try to pre-test a bit and gauge where they are.  I throw some stuff out there and then readjust when the vast variation in ability levels nearly knocks me down.  I get discouraged when some basic pre-algebra (8th grade here is Algebra. Period.) stuff makes an audible slap onto the floor.  I pick it up, dust it off, and stick it in a drawer for maybelaterifIfeellikeitday.  I do all that teacher stuff that I'm supposed to do and only realize it's been two weeks. One week with the kids.

I play videogames to let the back of my brain hammer something out while my conscious efforts out-maneuver an A.I.  I still check random blogs during loading times sometimes--

Which I guess brings me to the purpose of this blog.  The goal is to put out there what I'm doing, what's working, and what plain sucked for me that someone else can chime in on if they like.  

I come back with some good ideas.  And if I don't... [insert reflective statement here]

No comments:

Post a Comment